Friday, June 1, 2012

Good things mostly but, one not so much

The not so much:  I was supposed to post something for the Andrew Thornton Lima Beads blog hop today, and I just did not get the muse on this one.  I fooled with it in two different sessions, one version came out wonky, and another came out like the jewelry department at Walmart.  Neither was acceptable, so I decided that nothing was better than embarrassing myself and all involved.

The good:  I just joined the blog hop from a link at Antiquity Travelers.  That is a peach of a blog.  The linky list is on New End Studio and Katherine's Corner, both follow-worthy blogs in their own right.

More good:  I have made some decisions about my work.  I have long been contemplating my style.  I like to beadweave, and I love intricate work in general, whether beads, wire, paper, clay, whatever.  So, I am going back to what I love, and damn the torpedoes!  I have been in this fearful, "Oh, what should I do?", "Will people like it?" paralyzing fear conundrum for far too long.  I gotta be me.  So, my next project is gonna be full-on Shannon, and I hope it will be great fun.  I have been working on my conceptualization for about a year.  While I have gotten clear on that, I have been fearful about the execution.  Well, fear is no more.  I am over it!  Stay tuned.

Even more good:  I've been hit or miss about blogging.  I'm going to try to blog at least weekly, if not more often.  It has been part of the fear cycle, and I just can't continue to live like that.  I am what I am.  My art is what it is.  No more fear or apologies.  My husband has even been on my case because every time I ask him to do something for me, I apologize.  Who is this girl, and what happened to Shannon?  Well, she is back.  Full steam ahead.  No more negative waves, man.

4 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

Hi - I am now following you on Linky, Google Friends and BlogLovin!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thank you for participating, even if you don't want to share your pieces. I do think it would be a good exercise to post the pictures of your work as a way to help beat the demons back. I think it's hard to create in a studio, alone and surrounded by your own self-doubt and the hardest critic of all... yourself.

But you're not alone. We're here to cheer you on and help you grow as an artist, if you want.

You can do it! So, just create and try not to worry about "style" and what it's "supposed to be". Just create!

So keep on plugging away and don't give up!

Gloria said...

Hi Shannon, thanks for the kind words about my blog and for stopping to follow. I have returned the favor.

I only read this first post (will be back to read more) but I know what you are talking about. The first time I shared something publicly I wanted to take back that "enter" that I clicked. I'm still reticent.

Keep doing what you love. There's space for everyone to do what makes them happy.

See you soon!

Linda Britt Design said...

I don't think it matters what medium we create in as long as it makes us happy. I do think it matters that we create! I love your blogs. When I write mine, I try to think of someone..maybe you..and write what I would talk to you about. Not so scary then!
You go girl!