Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday blues

So, yesterday I watched Camelot, always an emotional movie for me, and the upheaval seems to have lingered on through today.  For those of you who might not understand my love of this movie, with all of its inherent flaws, including seemingly endless closeups of the interior of Vanessa Redgrave's nose, the opening crotch shot of Franco Nero as Lancelot, and importantly, the cheesy Hollywood casting.  Broadway had Julie Andrews, Rex Harrison and Richard Burton, the movie had the two mentioned above, with wild man Richard Harris (in a lot of 60's blue eye shadow and smudgy eyeliner) as Arthur.  Now, I love Redgrave and Harris in this movie, but Franco Nero???? Geez, was he the only guy on the planet for the job?  And David Hemmings as Mordred, was Malcolm McDowell sick?

Anyway, I digress, the movie is emotional for me because my brother and I sat through it twice one Christmas day at the age of 15 and 6 respectively, to escape a drunken father and a very abusive stepmother.  It gave me sanctuary, reminded me of our murdered President whom I adored, and will always be a very important movie to me.  You know, how songs are "our song"?  This is "my movie".

So, to fight the weepies, I worked on viking knit all day, and will publish a pic of the first one when I get the end crimps, claps and pendant on.  Sometimes art is creative, sometimes inspired and sometimes escape.  I love getting lost in art like I was lost all those years ago in our little neighborhood theater, imagining there were noble knights, tables round, goodly kings, true romance and that I could be Guinevere, if only for a day.

Camelot, Vanessa Redgrave 1967 Warner

1 comment:

Here Bead Dragons said...

It was Richard Burton, Julie Andrews and Robert Goulet on Broadway. One of the few Broadway musicals Rex Harrison was in.